Tuesday, March 24, 2009

From Alec: March 23, 2009

Hello everybody!

Things are going just fine down here in Arizona, though today has been a little crazy because we just moved (only down the street really) from this one house in with some members. Everything is sitting in the room there, waiting to be unpacked! This will be the first time I'm actually living with members - they seem really nice though.

Thanks for the package by the way - with the pictures and stuff, I can't remember if I said "thank you" yet for that.

I do have a question though - how is Doug Hoopes doing? I just heard about his accident way back, and nothing about what happened afterwards.

Well this week was a little better than last - because I started to know the people and the area, so it went fast, as the mission always does. This area is pretty crazy - we get text referrals from headquarters once every day almost - as compared to my last area, we only got one legit (one other crazy Spanish lady) text referral the whole two transfers I was there, so no more tracting! just contacting.

What you said about charity, Mom, is so true, and I've found it on the mission. No one will open up to you, and therefore the gospel, unless you love them. There is so much hate and hard feelings in the world that when someone who loves people and wants to understand and help them comes along, it's just so liberating (to everyone involved really). There's that old saying : "people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" and of course that makes all of the sense in the world. Why would someone listen to you or change from something you said unless they felt you were really there trying to help them be happier? If someone is telling you what to do and they don't love you - would you listen? How could you trust them? Well I'm having a hard time being spiritual right now because there is this guy next to me listening to music from the computer into his earphones and totally dancing and singing some of the words... anyways!

Well, we set a baptism date for this one lady - she's the wife of a recent convert and she is just awesome. She just quit coffee and so we set up the baptism and Elder Sexton and I are excited for her. We'll be meeting with another hopefully golden (I haven't even met him yet - he was sick last week) investigator so everything is going just fine.

I love you all and hope you have a good week!

Elder Hoopes

Elder Hoopes would like to hear from you! Look how sad he is when the mailbox is empty!

Still motivated by food, not much has changed
Elder Hoopes's third district:

Yes, that's an egg!

Elder Hoopes at a baptism.

No comments: