Tuesday, March 31, 2009

From Alec: March 30, 2009

Hello everyone,

Dad: I love updates, don't worry about if they're about girls - it's not like there aren't plenty of girls here if I wanted to get distracted. And if you didn't tell me I might never know what happened!

It is good to hear about Geoff - I'm sure he is doing awesome in Mexico - some of the spiritual giants in my last area (a WML and a man who gave us rides) went to Mexico on missions.

This week has been awesome to notice how the Spirit blesses us constantly - if we honestly and worthily seek to follow the promptings of the Spirit, we will be lead with faith to do amazing things.

By the way, it wouldn't be a bad idea to pray for D., an investigator of ours. He would totally be baptized but he wants his wife to come to church with him and she is just not budging, more out of shyness than just plain not wanting to go. So prayers for L.'s heart to be softened would be appreciated. We're also teaching a great kid (in a few minutes in fact...) and hopefully we can set a baptismal date with him! He told us how much church, and everything we have been teaching, has just helped him to be happier and more calm in his daily life! Our investigator with a baptismal date hasn't been to church in two weeks, but we'll stop by, and her date won't be affected if she comes back the rest of the time. Still a little scary though!!!

We had a zone conference this recent Tuesday, and I loved what President Bassett talked about sacrifice. It was so edifying and "plain and precious". Sacrifice is an eternal principle, and President proceeded to show how Christ and Heavenly Father are exemplars of this principle; Christ was and is only concerned about others and helping them, and Heavenly Father's work and glory is to bring about our happiness and eternal life! I realized then how hard Satan tries to get us to be selfish and only think of ourselves. I can't remember the exact quote but it went along the lines of "You can tell how [something, like spiritual or Christlike] you are by the way you treat other people." That was butchering the quote, but it is so true. It is easy to notice how most everyone only cares for themselves, and when you're looking for it it is easy to single out those who exemplify selflessness in every action. I've met alot of people like that - and truely living the restored Gospel is the key to unlocking that door to selflessness.

I am grateful for the opportunity and responsibility to be out here serving the Lord and His sheep - and at the same time I am humbled to know that I have so much refining to do of myself and my desires. President had an amazing quote by Elder Maxwell: "True sacrifice was never putting an animal on an altar, but taking out the animal inside of us and putting it on the altar to be consumed". Love the Lord and serve Him the very best you can!!!!

Elder Hoopes

No comments: