Tuesday, April 28, 2009

From Alec: April 27, 2009

Hello family!

Glad to get the news from home,
Karene sent a letter with pictures from Rachel's prom. I liked your dress, Rachel, it looked good!

Well I am not doing the best - I got a sinus infection on Friday and it has messed with my throat so since Saturday I haven't had much of a voice. I'm thinking of getting an elder from the trio of the reservation elders in our district to just ride around with us. I just can't really teach or street contact very well. I'm fighting it but it's one of the harsher ones, but I hope it will go away this week.

My new companion is Elder Morgan from Spokane Valley WA. He is a good missionary who really wants to work hard. I still don't feel ready to train a new missionary, still lots of things I wanted to work on before I had some missionary copying everything I do. But the Lord calls us in our weakness on purpose. I just really hope I've learned enough humility and how to rely on the Lord.

On Tuesday when I first got Elder Morgan we were riding down the street and I asked him to contact this family walking on the sidewalk. He had seen me do it a couple of times and so he went up and did it. It was slightly awkward and it was a little funny looking at it from my point of view, but he trusted in the Lord and it actually turned out to be a very good street contact, a very good experience and I was very proud of Elder Morgan. Then the next morning we happened to stop by a less active who we usually teach every week but the transfers messed up the schedule. He was home and I quickly decided the story of Enos would be good (I guess the Spirit must have told me) because when we got to the last verse, he was reading it and he choked up and I felt the Spirit very strongly. I don't know why I didn't think of that verse for him specifically, he used to do drugs and really messed up his body, and he'll probably be on kidney dialysis in a month, so thinking about the life after this one in the way Enos described it was very sweet. I'm glad we were there to give it to him. The church is God's Kingdom here on Earth and this gospel can and does change people's lives. It is amazing what love can do. Dumbledore really was right when he told Harry the power Voldemort underestimated what led to his downfall. It was Love. Never lose faith in the power contained in the love and true doctrine of our Heavenly Father. Have a great week!

Elder Hoopes
P.S. I'll probably call home then like at 6 on Sunday the 10th.
P.P.S. Oh yeah, and a lady named Debbie got baptized on Thursday; she is great and the ward has done such an amazing job.
Just thought you'd like to know!

No comments: