Monday, July 27, 2009

From Alec: July 20, 2009

Thank you for all of the emails and letters,

Things are going well here - we've been having some neat weather, the past few nights have been some major monsoons. I was woken up (Mom will understand from that that it must've been big to wake me up) at 4 this morning because of the thunder. It was pretty ridiculous, I didn't get back to sleep until 5 or so. There has been lots of rain. Personally, it think it is sweet - some awesome lightning and I have always liked rain, and today is sooo cool compared to what it used to be, so "I likes it".

Thanks for the updates, Dad - I love hearing about everyone and what is going on with them. For transfer news Elder Morgan and I finished up our first week of the transfer this Sunday - we will be together in the same area for at least 5 more weeks now, but judging how fast the past two transfers have gone I can imagine it will feel like tomorrow is when I'll be up for the boot again.

This last week was great - we taught so many lessons it was awesome. Met some amazing people and so hopefully we can help them understand how to "live after the manner of happiness which is according to the commandments and exhortings of our Heavenly Father". T. got baptized on Saturday. Everything went very smoothly, we had the water at the proper level this time, and the meeting was full of the Spirit of reverence and love. His confirmation went well and he is just a great kid. L. has her baptism date set for the 8th of august and A. has hers set for the 15th. They both are awesome so we'll be prayerful for their spirituality and progression towards becoming like Christ.

We helped some investigators move yesterday. They are so awesome and will totally get baptized and be amazing members - Elder Morgan and I love them they are cool people. But they moved out of our area so we spent 8-11 yesterday helping them move. It felt good to help though I was so tired afterwards!

Just one thing recently that I've been thinking about - it really makes so much sense that this is Christ's restored gospel. The more I read of the New Testament I am more fully converted that the Savior not only directed those first apostles, but he is the living head of the church today and he is, in fact, the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Of course it is the same when I open the Book of Mormon and read of the plain and precious truths that are there before our eyes. What a treasure it is! Also as I read from the Old Testament and the Doctrine and Covenants, and all teachings of modern prophets. Especially, as I strive to represent our Savior in diligence and faith, I see him directing us. I am reminded of Isaiah's words in chapter 61:

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound."

It is so rewarding when we find those meek of the earth, who are willing to chose happiness over misery and the world. There is no reason for us to not have the peace and hope that the restored gospel brings, save for the pride we have in our hearts. I'll sign off with Romans 16:19 "I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil"

Be meek!

Elder Hoopes

No comments: