Wednesday, January 21, 2009

From Dad: Happy New Year

Dear Alec,

It is such a treat to be able to type your email at 9:30 in the morning! I've taken the week off from work (really just Monday and Tuesday because no one is working Wednesday and Friday). I'm sure I'd be bored out of my mind if I lived like this every day, but once in a while it is a break.
I hope and pray that all is well with you. I told Grandpa John that you have run into a cousin of his who knew him as JB from Thatcher, but from your description he could narrow the possible cousins to two or three - do you remember her name? I had a strong feeling at your call that your mission to Arizona is in part a gift in return for the wonderful father your grandfather has been to me and what a wonderful grandfather he is to all of his grandchildren.


We have really taken the last 2 weeks off from the full requirements of the bishopric, which has also been refreshing. It has allowed me a time to reconsider some of the things we are doing and to reconsider doing some things we have not been doing. I am very excited for the new year when we will have the opportunity to pursue these new directions for me and to some extent for the ward.
The missionary work here has been going on, however, but our ward mission leader has been out of town so I have not been able to meet with him.
We have the little dramas playing out in different places in the ward, which I have to attend to, but I'm constantly urging our leaders not to allow problems to monopolize our attention. It is important to remain focused on the building the Kingdom, otherwise all our energies will be drained by the problems and there will not be any energy or attention left to build.
It was wonderful to talk to you on the phone - for the next several days I felt you with us as we prayed and celebrated the season.
I am very proud of you and your service which is blessing the people you serve as well as us,

Love,
Dad

No comments: