Monday, February 23, 2009

From Alec: February 23, 2009

Hello from Mesa!

Thank you everyone for your emails (and in some cases letters). I love every bit of anything I get in the mailbox or the inbox.

That is pretty crazy that you were so close to me, Mom & Dad. Tia Rosa's (I've eaten there!) is in my 1st area, and the owners of the restaurant live in our area now. Funny thing, when I was in there I thought to myself - "Dad would absolutely love this place..."

In reference to Dad's email, I have come to realize covenants (and goals, too) are so important. It is by making and keeping covenants, such as taking upon us His name, and the other baptism, sacrament, and temple covenants, that we become like Christ and are given power to bless others, which of course blesses us immensely.

Well, this week was a pretty good one. We did have a bunch of lessons not turn out (between no-shows and cancellations) but we did everything we could and I think it showed. We did have this lesson with an eternigator (so called) that was amazing. He's only about 24 or so. His teaching record is very interesting (3 pages too!) He was taught, then set a baptismal date and his family apparently freaked out and he pulled back and said he didn't want to talk about baptism anymore (this is all on the record). But looking at the record I realized that he may have seemed like he was not progressing or an eternigator to the missionaries who were only in an area for a few weeks, yet may well have been progressing. So with some advice from the district in our district meeting, we went and taught, and it was a great lesson - he really just wants to do good things and feel his Heavenly Father's love. Too often I think we missionaries and members get too down on people and after they accomplish something good we ask then more of them, and yet we never stop to praise or reward good actions sometimes, which is oh-so important. We all want to know that what we are doing is acceptable to the Lord, and that does not mean that we are perfect. It means we are trying our hardest, and we are repenting (a long process!). Hopefully we can keep working with him and he can keep focused with the distractions of work, school, and the temptations he'll face. But especially I hope that he'll be converted unto the Lord.

I love you all, and keep doing your best and obeying the promptings of the Spirit, which is anything which enticeth to do good!

Elder Hoopes

No comments: