Thursday, October 1, 2009

From Alec: July 28, 2009

Hello

Thanks for the updates, Dad. I love to hear what is happening up there. Glad Bishop Stewart is doing so well, he really is a great man.
Mom is busy? that's abnormal...
If you remember right, Dad, I did like you reading to me - it's just I got too busy when I was in high school and Rachel was always against it.

I'm emailing early because we'll be having a zone activity at 1:00 today. which is a huge homemade slip-n-slide. It will be fun...but for about 15 minutes. Elder Morgan and I will probably spend the rest napping because of the 5:30 am temple session - it still was great. I do love the temple, wish we had more time to be there - but I guess that's for after the mish.

Well, things are going very well here. We had two baptismal interviews this last week - one for L. and one for A. They both passed (they are both awesome, both gave up smoking the same month we taught them about it). The only thing is, L. stayed with her Dad over the weekend because her window got smashed in, and she didn't make it to church for some reason. We haven't been able to get a hold of her either, so we can easily assume Satan is predictably doing his best to spread unhappiness.
Also A. wasn't at church either - I think it was because she was helping her mom move on Sunday. So if that is the case it's a legit reason but we haven't had contact again since Saturday. I think the most annoying thing in missionary work is when you lose contact with people. Because you just don't know what is going on in the least - and there is nothing you can do (besides keep attempting contact) except wait for them to contact you.

There was a cool thing at church - R. and J. came to all three hours (usually they can only come to the last two - sacrament meeting is hard with the grandkids they bring). And after Sacrament meeting they talked with Bishop Clanton and they kept talking for about 20 minutes. Bishop definitely talked with them about baptism (he asked me as I passed if we had told them it is a beginning not an end) and it seemed like an awesome conversation. At the end of Sunday school, R. told me they want us to come over and teach them everything again in one day. Like a huge lesson. We'll see what happens! They are so awesome, we both want the best for them.

We had a cool experience with J. and S. We've been trying to get them to read the Book of Mormon for the whole time I've been here, and also tried getting them to church. If you had a vision, like the tree of life one Nephi had, about us teaching them, it would consist of Elder Morgan and I beating them over the head with the Gold Plates. Why does it seem so hard to get someone to do something that will make them happy? But of course, it doesn't matter what we do, the only thing that will compel souls to do good is the Spirit sent by our Father in Heaven. It's not us. That fact is comforting, as well, for the missionaries. It doesn't matter how skilled or smart we are; what really matters is if we are humble and faith-full so that the Spirit can work through us. That is the beautiful thing about this earth experience - I love you all,

Elder Hoopes

No comments: