Thursday, October 1, 2009

From Alec: September 8, 2009

Hello,

We just got back from Snowflake after staying there the night, attending the temple, and then doing a zone activity. So I am tired - this might be a short email. Elder Dursteler and I and two other missionaries actually did baptisms for the dead this time. It was very neat - you can feel that some of the people who's names were read were either present in the room or full of joy up in the Spirit World.

Well, this last week in Heber was a very interesting one. We had very low numbers because we were busy running around to service, S. & J., weekly planning, zone conference in Payson, or other craziness. S. & J. were really having a hard time - very frustrated with life in general and how they were trying so hard to make it but just not doing well. So we spent lots of time with them this week.

We did also meet with an investigator named D. - he is a very neat guy. he's a ranch-hand who has been coming to church for a while. He grew up and went to Catholic school and has not had a very good experience with organized church nor church leaders, so he is having trouble with faith in anything at all. But he does love the members and the way he feels at church, so we'll be praying for his heart to soften and that he will come to know Christ through his restored Gospel - because that can heal up his wounded heart like nothing else could even compare.

It's an interesting thing to think that I reached my year mark recently - it hasn't weirded me out at all. I'm like Jon in that I won't really get nervous or feel any emotion about anything until it comes, so that is how it is right now. But it is good to look back and think if my mission has been what I desired it to be, if it was what I desire now, and most importantly if it has been what the Lord wanted out of me. I feel like there are many things to be changed, much repenting to be done, much like the prophet Joseph Smith talked about "Search your heart to see if it is like God's; I have searched mine and feel the need to repent."

I love this Gospel and I know that it is the fullness of Jesus Christ's Gospel because only he could have done what has been worked in my life and in my heart. His servant, Thomas S. Monson has truly been called to be the prophet - and by hearkening to his words we can come closer to the Kingdom of Heaven and its happiness. This has been revealed unto me by the power of the Holy Ghost. I still cannot believe that I have such an amazing gift. I just hope that I can live up to its standards and be the servant the Lord desires of me.

Elder Hoopes

No comments: