Saturday, June 12, 2010

From Alec: April 20, 2010

Hello everyone,

Things are going alright here in County Island/East Mesa. Glad to hear everyone is doing well - how are my niece and nephew, and Elliott too?

Oh Dad - that must've been Mr. Gural, he was my pre-calc and AP Calculus teacher - I can easily say he is one of the best teachers I've ever had. Great guy, good to hear about him - if you see him again tell him 'hi' and 'thanks'.

We had a lesson on Wednesday with L. She is a funny lady - we found her and her brother (who is older, she is 66) my first week in the area and we did some service for them. We just recently started to teach her - the lesson on Wednesday was a follow up on the two previous lessons on the Restoration and the Book of Mormon. This time we watched "The Restoration" (a short, 20 min movie on the prophet Joseph Smith) and it was great - she said watching it made her want to be closer to God. So we testified of the Spirit's calling and it was great. She definitely felt the Spirit, but she is shy and unsure about coming to church - so we're hoping to get a nice RS sister there to help her feel more comfortable about the idea.

Also had a lesson with this lady named P. - she moved from our ZL's area to ours. She likes the missionaries coming over (so undoubtedly has felt the Spirit's presence while missionaries have taught her), but she has a law of chastity problem - mainly because she doesn't have the money to get a divorce to her previous husband.

Friday was a cool day except for the fact we had all four lessons cancel on us. Three of them would have been new investigators.

Yesterday was a different day because I went with our district leader's companion in their area. They are the Spanish missionaries so I tagged along with Elder Reid and sat there praying for him (all I could contribute) in the investigator lesson. That was pretty neat; it would be so humbling to have to speak a different language on your mission - I know I don't even know half of it, as Jon, Ben, and Dad will likely tell me.

I am so glad to be on my mission for the Lord, This is his work and his glory - and he desires everything for all of his children. I am grateful for the opportunity to be 'His hands', if you remember that reference to President Uchtdorf's talk. So much that is good and pure in me comes directly from His restored gospel and church - and of course everything good in me comes from Him period. Love you all and wish the best,

Elder A. Hoopes

No comments: